John Hay focuses his general corporate and commercial law practice on representing small and medium-sized businesses, including insurance companies, banks, franchisors and franchisees. He works with business clients on formation, financing, and relationships and contracts with vendors, customers and lenders. He also provides counsel on dealings with regulatory agencies, relationships among owners, mergers and acquisitions and intellectual property matters including trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets.
A member of the state bar committees that drafted the 1976 and 1996 Arizona Business Corporation laws, John has published numerous articles and been a speaker at seminars on corporate law. He was a member of the state bar committee that prepared the current (2004) report used by Arizona lawyers on rendering legal opinions in business and financing transactions and currently is a member of state bar committees drafting extensive revisions to Arizona’s corporate and limited liability company laws.
John has been a member of the American Bar Association Forum on Franchising since its inception in 1978. He has written articles and made presentations about franchising from the perspective of both franchisees and franchisors. John has represented insurers and reinsurers in corporate and regulatory matters since 1966, and was a member of the Arizona Life and Disability Insurance Guaranty Fund Board, a part of the Arizona Insurance Department, from 1984 to 1995.
John is recognized in the Franchising Law category of The Best Lawyers in America® (1995 – present). In addition, he is listed under the Business/Corporate category of the 2007 and 2008 Southwest Super Lawyers® magazine. John Hay is AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, representing the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards.
- Stanford University (B.A., with distinction, 1961)
- University of Colorado School of Law (J.D., 1964)
- Arizona, 1965
- Colorado, 1964
- District of Columbia, 1971
- State Bar of Arizona (member, Business Law, Intellectual Property and Securities Regulations Sections)
- American Bar Association (Forum on Franchising)
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Association of Life Insurance Counsel
- Arizona Licensor/Franchisor Association (secretary, treasurer and former president)
- Arizona Life and Disability Insurance Guaranty Fund (former chairman, Board of Directors)
- Small Business Council of the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce (member, Transportation Committee; former chairman, Arts and Culture Task Force)
- University of Colorado School of Law (member, Law Alumni Board)
- Community Legal Services (former President)